Ice cold Lemonade!


 We had a garage sale today and the kids had their first lemonade stand.  We made fresh squeezed lemonade (and it was pretty darn good, I must say), and sold cookies.  Although I think Cameron ate most of the cookies himself.
Every time a customer stopped at our garage sale Jessica would yell, "Ice cold lemonade! .25 cents!"  No one could resist and she sold quite a few cups.  

 Jessica was a good little salesman, but she got tired of it easily and would run off to do other things.  Cameron, on the other hand sat there all day!  He even yelled gibberish to everyone.  Here, he is cooling down by dumping an entire water bottle on himself because it was a thousand degrees outside.

I made about $180, but I didn't even sell half of my stuff.  Not enough people come to Huachuca City, and the ones who do want to buy things super cheap (so they can take it to Mexico and sell it again.  Literally.).

I have definitely had the "urge to purge" lately.  Which, if you know me very well, is unlike me.  I've had the pack-rat gene passed down in my family for many generations and I have a very hard time letting go of anything.  I feel like if an item has ever touched my hands I need to keep it forever.  Recently I have been doing a lot of reading and soul-searching and I have decided that it is finally time for me to simplify.

An outsider would never be able to tell, but I have been paring down quite a bit.  I'm proud of myself.  I still have a lot to go, though, until I can feel like I'm really making a difference.  I'm trying to live by the mantra, "if it's not beautiful or useful to me, I don't need it."  This garage sale was kind of a first step and I'm planning on having another one at the end of the summer when I've gone through more of my junk.  Maybe we'll have another lemonade stand, too.

Comments

Unknown said…
I love that first picture of Cameron. He's totally got the, "Cookies? What cookies?" look on his face.
Olivia said…
almost every picture i see of cameron, he has some sort of cookie beard. so cute!!
Sassyfrass said…
So glad to see you "back"! I can totally relate to the packrat tendency. Hubby has mostly cured me of it, but it still occasionally rears its ugly head! The kids are so grown up. Wish we were still around for playdates :( Every time I see Jessica's long, beautiful hair I have to laugh and think how relieved Hank must be ;)
It's true that the pack-rat gene runs in the Sommers family! David has it too, but I am completely opposite.. I throw pretty much everything away (which runs in my family from my mother too) so we're a good balance. David has a few collections that I tolerate and I can admit I have a lava lamp collection I started because of him :) It's really a breath of fresh air to declutter so I hope your garage sale motivated you even further to live by your mantra! Congrats.

Popular posts from this blog

Aloha!

So Sleepy . . .